Author Question: How to find initial velocity of projectile? (Read 968 times)

Millan

I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while. Please help.  An object (9kg) is launched off a building (442m height) and lands 500m away from base of building. At what velocity was the object launched?

Melanie

How was it launched? Horizontally (angle of zero degrees)? or at some angle?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hungry!

Answer, I think --> 52.7 m/s

I'm guessing that this is a horizontal launch, where ? = 0° ?  If not, I can't answer this problem, and the answer I gave is meaningless.

Given:

m = 9 kg
H = 442 m
R = 500 m
g = 9.81 m/s^2 (Earth gravity, mean)

Mass doesn't matter unless you're including air resistance, which I don't think you are.

Vo = R * SQRT { g / 2H }

Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 2 * (442 m) ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { (9.81 m/s^2) / [ 884 m ] }
Vo = (500 m) * SQRT { 0.0111 /s^2 }
Vo = (500 m) * (0.105 /s)
Vo = 52.7 m/s

Jones

If you want to solve it without jumping to a formula, you can do this:
Find the time that it would take for the object to fall from the top of the building. I'm assuming it was released horizontally, so initial vertical velocity is zero. So,
y2 = y1+Vo t+1/2 g t^2
V0 is 0 and y2-y1 is the height H (just the difference in y values).
H=1/2gt^2
t = sqrt (2H/g)

Since the object was released horizontally, there is no acceleration in that direction.
V=d/t = d/sqrt(2H/g)
=500/sqrt(2*442/9.8)
=52.6 m/s

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library