Author Question: How can I improve my math skills especially in the field of algebra? (Read 1375 times)

geoffrey

I'm going to study civil engineering this coming school year and I enrolled for an advance class for math. Every time we have a class, I find it hard to understand algebraic problems (especially word problems in algebra). I love math but I find it hard to apply every time we have a seat work or homework. I also have problems remembering formulas and the law of exponents.

I really want to improve my math skills. I really need your help before the first sem starts.

you need to ask yourself if you are really decided to be a civil engr. in the future. if the ans. is a very firm yes, definitely, you solved your problem. i was once like you but i decided to "do whatever it takes to pass" my algebra class and all my engg subjects. patience patience and a lot of patience is all you need. eng'g course is not how brainy you are, it is how patient and resourceful you are.spend much of your time in practice, practice solving algebra problems. practice makes perfect. dont be disheartened. keep trying!!!

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

I'm afraid the only answer is to practise. You need to work with the concepts until they become second nature. At first you will battle through referring repeatedly to your notes, after a while you will wonder why you even needed them!

Make use of your tutor, ask questions, and make sure you really understand the principles of the problem; many of my students just like to have an answer written down, without wantig to put any thought into how we got there, then get surprised when they can't do it themselves. Algebra is a very big field though, what particularly do you struggle with, rearranging formulae, graphical methods, indices?

Can recommend the BBC bitesize web site if it covers the areas you need though.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library