Author Question: How would you solve this mathematical problem? (Read 1336 times)

aero

Solve by using the quadratic formula. Give your answers in simplest radical form. Give both real and imaginary roots.

4/z = 3z/z-3

I have a lot of problems that are just like the one about but I just don't know how to go about solving them.

go.lag

4/z = 0
No solution

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

You need to use the quadratic formula, so you need to get a quadratic function out of what you're given.

4 = 3z^2/(z-3)

4(z-3) = 3z^2

4z-12=3z^2

Then rearrange by subtracting 4z and adding 12, which leaves you:

3z^2-4z+12=0

Then plug into the quadratic formula, with 3=a, -4=b, and 12=c.

I included a link for the quadratic formula in case you don't know it.

Best of luck! :D

ricki

If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = (3z/z)-3} = 3-3 = 0 then no solution.
If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = 3z/(z-3) then  z = 0.66 +/-j1.89  where j^2 = -1

I believe you mean by:
4/z = 3z/(z-3) instead of  4/z = 3z/z-3
If so, then
work;
4/z = 3z/(z-3) or
3z^2 -4z+12 = 0
comparing to the eq. ax^2+bx+c or x = {-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac} / 2a.  we get:
z = {4 +/-sqrt(16-144)} / 6
= {4 +/-sqrt(-128)}/6 = 4/6 +/-(j11.31)/6....:where j^2 = -1
z = 0.66 +/-j1.89

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library