Author Question: Is there any tricks to knowing which gas law or gas equation to use when you are reading a chemistry word prob? (Read 1332 times)

clippers!

I don't understand, when I'm reading a chemistry word problem, which formula I'm supposed to use.  I think I have the equations down if I know which equation to plug the numbers into.  I have a quiz tomorrow and we just finished up the chapter yesterday.  Any suggestions.  Anything would be appreciated.  Thanks

curlz

I think it's good to just remember: PV = nRT

so if the # of moles is constant and you know that R is the ideal gas constant then simply rearranging the equation algebraically gives:

PV/T = constant

and if any of the properties are not given in your word problem, then you can simply take it out of the equation and continue with the properties you are given.

For example, if a question only involves P and V, then your equation of interest will be PV = constant & if a question involves V and T, then ur eqn becomes: V/T = constant etc

Goodluck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

remember PV = nRT

then remember this...

1) whatever is constant, move to the right.  the rest move to the left....
2) make 2 conditions 1 and 2.. and make the variable part of the equations =... like this..

PV = nRT..
if V is constant and n is constant (which is usually the case) and R is constant. then...

P/T = nR/V.... the right side is all constants...
P1 /T1 = nR/V
P2 / T2 = nR/V
so
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2  
same for P, n and R being constants...

PV = nRT
V / T = nR/P
V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

etc...

alternately, and this is what I recommend... R is always constant... so

PV = nRT
PV / nT = R...
ie...

(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2).... if you remember this equation and you cancel out whatever is constant, you should have no problems.  ok?  and fyi, the easy way to remember this equation is... PV = nRT.... PV/nT = R = constant...P1V1/n1T1 = ...

so memorize...

PV = nRT and
(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2)....

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library