Author Question: How is a Computer Science degree? In what ways is it hard? (Read 1094 times)

Alainaaa8

Can I get REAL experiences from people who got a bachelor's in CS? How were the courses? What was most challenging about CS? Most rewarding? Do professors explain well, or did you have to do a lot of side-research and investigation? What happened after you graduated from college with a BS, who did you get hired by?

Oh, and also, was the homework intensive and long? How many hours, average? Thank you!
I know the school depends a lot, which school did you attend? Also, were the concepts hard to grasp? Thanks!

Sandstorm

Is this from an engineering college or arts & science?
I know my Computer Science & Engineering degree, 8yrs ago, required a lot of math. The 4 courses in math & the 2 in physics took a lot of time.
Quite a few people switched majors after a semester or two of just trying to learn the basics.
... maybe they just had a lesser alcohol tolerance than me.

I did not find it difficult initially but I had taken a programming course in high school & I also frequently passed time in study hall via programming my calculator. I think homework difficulty varies based on your capabilities but regardless, it will still require a good amount of effort after a couple years. Once I got beyond the basics things seemed to go faster than I would have preferred. Too frequently I found myself having to go to the lab to do homework (you had to, no questions).
While in college, there was a good internship program that helped me get a job via experience, I would recommend going somewhere that has required internships (I was required to have 3 semesters as such). BUT since these were jobs with the State I did not get hired full time > budget cuts in the government. Still after getting my bs I found an employer/subcontractor who didn't pay me jack but did get me a good job after I finished 6 months with them.
I had a horrible electronics prof, other than that I don't think you can give a generic answer to whether or not professors are good.
... I am not going to name my employer...
I make more money right now than my mom ever did after getting her law degree for use in the state court system (she recently retired after 30? years).

I can work from home as needed and I know my employer is trying to cram more people in one building so maybe I'll never go back to the office.

Things are being outsourced a lot to India. After 2yrs I had to train 2 people in India, the 3rd person I trained was my replacement (I trained via the internet). My colleagues in Italy & Germany also lost their jobs to people in India.
A connection I had, my manager, helped me get another job within the same corporation.