This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The parent of a child with Tourette's disorder says, My child's tics come and go. I think my child ... (Read 49 times)

Bernana

The parent of a child with Tourette's disorder says, My child's tics come and go. I think my child is faking them.. Select the accurate response by the nurse.

a. Perhaps your child was misdiagnosed..
  b. Your observation indicates the medication is effective..
  c. Tics often change frequency or severity. That does not mean they are not real..
  d. This finding indicates worsening of the condition. Let's review how you've been giving the child's medication..

Question 2

A patient asks the nurse, I read an article online about psychosocial factors that influence depression.

What are psychosocial factors? Examples a nurse could cite to support the premise that a patient's depression may be influenced by psychosocial factors include: (Select all that apply) a. having a hostile and overinvolved family.
  b. having two first-degree relatives with bipolar disorder.
  c. feeling strong guilt over having an abortion when one's religion forbids it.
  d. experiencing the death of a parent a month before the onset of depression.
  e. experiencing symptom remission when treated with antidepressant medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Pamela.irrgang@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

C
Tics are sudden rapid, involuntary, repetitive movements or vocalizations characteristic of Tourette's disorder. They often fluctuate in frequency and severity and are reduced or absent during sleep.

Answer to Question 2

A, C, D
Family influence is a psychosocial factor affecting a patient's mental health. A hostile, overinvolved family is critical of the patient and contributes to low self-esteem. Genetic factors influence an individual's risk for mental disorder but are not psychosocial factors. Religious influences are psychosocial in nature. Life experiences, especially crises and losses, are psychosocial influences on mental health. Treatment with a biological agent, such as antidepressant medication, is an example of a biological influence.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library