Author Question: What is an independent and dependent variable in psychology? (Read 1144 times)

aero

I need to know what the independent and dependent variable will be in my experiment, please help!
My operant conditioning experiment is about conditioning myself to do my homework everyday by four, if i succeed i will reward myself with $40.
Help!!!!

geoffrey

An independent variable is the variable that is changed in a scientific experiment to test the effects on the dependent variable.

A dependent variable is the variable being tested in a scientific experiment.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

The independent variable is what you change experimentally, and the dependent variable is what changes as a result of the independent variable changing.

For your experiment, I'd say that your independent variable may be the presence of a reward, and the dependent variable would be whether or not it was effective, whether or not you got into a habit of doing your homework every day by 4.

hummingbird

independent: time homework is finished
dependent: reward - $40

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library