Author Question: What does the limit of the derivative of a function tell you? (Read 999 times)

aero

Starting with the function F(x) = (x^2 - 8)/(x+3), I took the derivative of it and got (x^2+6x+8)/(x+3)^2. Then I found the limit of that as x approached infinity, and it was 1. What does that answer tell me about F(x), the original function?

And please don't post any silly answers. Thanks.

j_sun

You did the derivative and the limit correctly.
In the limit, the slope of F is 1 means that eventually, the function F  is increasing 1 unit for every unit of x.
So the graph of F will eventual look like   F approximately =  1*x +b

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library