Author Question: How would you solve this mathematical problem? (Read 1350 times)

aero

Solve by using the quadratic formula. Give your answers in simplest radical form. Give both real and imaginary roots.

4/z = 3z/z-3

I have a lot of problems that are just like the one about but I just don't know how to go about solving them.

go.lag

4/z = 0
No solution

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

You need to use the quadratic formula, so you need to get a quadratic function out of what you're given.

4 = 3z^2/(z-3)

4(z-3) = 3z^2

4z-12=3z^2

Then rearrange by subtracting 4z and adding 12, which leaves you:

3z^2-4z+12=0

Then plug into the quadratic formula, with 3=a, -4=b, and 12=c.

I included a link for the quadratic formula in case you don't know it.

Best of luck! :D

ricki

If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = (3z/z)-3} = 3-3 = 0 then no solution.
If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = 3z/(z-3) then  z = 0.66 +/-j1.89  where j^2 = -1

I believe you mean by:
4/z = 3z/(z-3) instead of  4/z = 3z/z-3
If so, then
work;
4/z = 3z/(z-3) or
3z^2 -4z+12 = 0
comparing to the eq. ax^2+bx+c or x = {-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac} / 2a.  we get:
z = {4 +/-sqrt(16-144)} / 6
= {4 +/-sqrt(-128)}/6 = 4/6 +/-(j11.31)/6....:where j^2 = -1
z = 0.66 +/-j1.89

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library