Author Question: Can anyone help me answer this Criminal Justice Homework Question? (Read 1142 times)

Garrulous

What are victimless crimes?  Why are they sometimes called social-order offenses?  Do you think that such law violations are truly victimless?  Why or why not?

ricki

Victimless crimes are those that allegedly don't affect other people. The three most common are gambling, prostitution, and drug use.

However, they do effect other people. Prostitution can break up a marriage, gambling losses effect the entire family, and many people resort to crime to support their drug habit.

I hear people say "it's my body and it should be my choice if I want to take drugs", but the problem is very few people can afford a drug habit. If you ever had your house burglarized by a drug addict looking for his next fix, you will agree there is no such thing as a victimless crime.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library