This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult client has just learned of the death of an adult child as a result of an automobile ... (Read 96 times)

tth

An older adult client has just learned of the death of an adult child as a result of an automobile accident. The adult child was in another city and died alone. Which action by the nurse is appropriate to address the client during the grieving process?

A) Assisting the family through the complicated grief process
  B) Planning care related to the guilt and grief the mother may feel
  C) Obtaining a psychological consult for the mother
  D) Helping the family to arrange the funeral and burial plans

Question 2

An older adult client is informed that it is no longer safe for the client to drive at night due to the development of night blindness.

Which client statement prompts the nurse to plan a family care conference for the client?
  A) I will limit my driving to daytime hours.
  B) I guess I'll get help when I need to go out at night.
  C) In the summer, I will be able to drive longer.
  D) I expected this to happen eventually, but I think I still see okay at night.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B

The mother and family of the dead son are very likely going to face feelings of guilt for not having been with the son when he died. The nurse plans care for the family and does not obtain a consult unless grief becomes unhealthy. The nurse does not help the family make funeral or burial plans. There is no evidence that the mother or family is experiencing complicated grief at this time.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: D

The client is not being realistic by stating that he still sees okay at night. The nurse realizes that he may continue to drive or may become depressed. A family conference could help assist the client to make safe plans for going out at night. Limiting driving to daytime hours, planning for help to go out at night, and anticipating more hours of daytime in the summer demonstrate acceptance and compliance by the client.

tth

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

dyrone

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library