Author Question: How to calculate time in flight for a baseball pitch? (Read 1563 times)

mydiamond

Starting speed: 89.6 mph
Ending speed: 77.7 mph
Distance travelled: 55 feet

How can I calculate the time in flight?
Is it possible to make an Excel formula so I can just plug in the numbers?

clippers!

Well, you know distance, v1, v2, and acceleration.

Try this equation:

d = t*(v2-v1)/2

Isolate for t.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Garrulous

Sure.  Start with the basic position/acceleration formula:

x= v0(t) + 1/2a(t^2)

x=55/5280 (to put it in miles), v0=89.6, and a=average acceleration = change in velocity/change in time = 11.9mph/t

pump these in the formula and you get

55/5280 = 89.6t + (5.95/t)(t^2)

55/5280= 89.6t + 5.95t

Notice that the nasty t^2 term gets taken care of by the /t you carried in from the a formula, so rearrange this to isolate t and you have your answer:

(55/5280)/(89.6+5.95)

The excel formula should look like this:

(distance in miles)/(starting speed in mph + 1/2 the change in speed in mph)  = time in hours.

I'll assume you can do the unit conversion if you want this is seconds, and since you're going to code this I won't bother to punch the calculator for you.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library