Author Question: Is there any tricks to knowing which gas law or gas equation to use when you are reading a chemistry word prob? (Read 1335 times)

clippers!

I don't understand, when I'm reading a chemistry word problem, which formula I'm supposed to use.  I think I have the equations down if I know which equation to plug the numbers into.  I have a quiz tomorrow and we just finished up the chapter yesterday.  Any suggestions.  Anything would be appreciated.  Thanks

curlz

I think it's good to just remember: PV = nRT

so if the # of moles is constant and you know that R is the ideal gas constant then simply rearranging the equation algebraically gives:

PV/T = constant

and if any of the properties are not given in your word problem, then you can simply take it out of the equation and continue with the properties you are given.

For example, if a question only involves P and V, then your equation of interest will be PV = constant & if a question involves V and T, then ur eqn becomes: V/T = constant etc

Goodluck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

remember PV = nRT

then remember this...

1) whatever is constant, move to the right.  the rest move to the left....
2) make 2 conditions 1 and 2.. and make the variable part of the equations =... like this..

PV = nRT..
if V is constant and n is constant (which is usually the case) and R is constant. then...

P/T = nR/V.... the right side is all constants...
P1 /T1 = nR/V
P2 / T2 = nR/V
so
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2  
same for P, n and R being constants...

PV = nRT
V / T = nR/P
V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

etc...

alternately, and this is what I recommend... R is always constant... so

PV = nRT
PV / nT = R...
ie...

(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2).... if you remember this equation and you cancel out whatever is constant, you should have no problems.  ok?  and fyi, the easy way to remember this equation is... PV = nRT.... PV/nT = R = constant...P1V1/n1T1 = ...

so memorize...

PV = nRT and
(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2)....

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library