Author Question: Who is to blame for the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet? (Read 1439 times)

Jones

When we go back to school my class is writing a two-day in-class essay on who/what is to blame for the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. I just need some advice because I'm starting to overthink this and it's confusing me. I want to do timing as what is to blame, but my teacher kept stressing about how you have to have three different reasons. I have events like when Romeo and Juliet met, how the Capulet party was the day that Rosaline rejected Romeo, the timing of Juliet waking up. There's a lot more, but aren't those all just part of one reason? Like the examples? Because for the thesis you would say Timing is to blame for the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet because of certain events, something, and something. So does this mean I can't do timing? Or are the events each considered a reason (body paragraph topic). I'm just really confused at this point, so can someone please help me. Maybe I should just change it from timing to the two households or even Romeo and Juliet themselves? Sorry if that was confusing. Any help is appreciated, and I'm not trying to get someone to write the essay for me if you thought I was(just clarifying, no offense intended). Thanks!

Jesse_J

Not a person I think. The despute between the families. Maybe do it and segergation or something. Try to have dept.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

I wouldn't go with the timing idea.  Too simplistic.    The blame lies with the families, who tried to keep these two lovers apart and forced them down a path that led to tragedy.  Had they not needed to deceive, they would not have died.  
So, you can also blame Romeo and Juliet themselves.  They were defying their families, and look what it got them.  So I guess you can also blame love--it makes people do things that aren't always in their best interests.

Jesse_J

Fate caused all of this. they were star crossed lovers and had no way out of it. this is one of the ways to interpret it

Melanie

You could blame Romeo and/or Juliet for their own deaths because they were young and could have mistaken this "destined love" for teenage lust.

You could blame their families for keeping a feud against each other.

You could blame the nurse and/or Friar Lawrence for allowing Juliet and Romeo to see each other then eventually, allowed them to get married.

You could blame Lord Capulet for forcing Juliet to marry the prince.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library