Author Question: What does the limit of the derivative of a function tell you? (Read 1001 times)

aero

Starting with the function F(x) = (x^2 - 8)/(x+3), I took the derivative of it and got (x^2+6x+8)/(x+3)^2. Then I found the limit of that as x approached infinity, and it was 1. What does that answer tell me about F(x), the original function?

And please don't post any silly answers. Thanks.

j_sun

You did the derivative and the limit correctly.
In the limit, the slope of F is 1 means that eventually, the function F  is increasing 1 unit for every unit of x.
So the graph of F will eventual look like   F approximately =  1*x +b

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library