Author Question: Solving quadratics using vertex form/root form? (Read 1680 times)

Jones

I've been trying really hard to figure out these for Precalc, but I just don't understand. How do I solve this quadratic using vertex form?

4x^2 + 149 = 28x

and this one, using root form?

3x + 8 + 16/3x = 0

thanks so much!
never mind the root form bit. apparently, that's just basic factoring.

Sandstorm

You find the vertex of a quadratic function by completing the square.

4x^2 - 28x + 149 = y
4(x^2 - 7x) = y - 149
x^2 - 7x = (1 / 4)(y - 149)
x^2 - 7x + (7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 149 + 49)
= (1 / 4)(y - 100)
(x - 7 / 2)^2 = (1 / 4)(y - 100)

That's the vertex form of the equation, giving vertex (7 / 2, 100).

With y = 0, it gives:
x - 7 / 2 = +/- 5i
x = 7 / 2 +/- 5i.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library