Author Question: If I move to Canada and become a Canadian citizen, what happens to my money? (Read 1498 times)

j_sun

This is a consideration I've been having over the past year, with a terrible job market for my profession. But, what happens to my money, if I choose to make it a "permanent" move, and eventually become a Canadian citizen?

- The money I have in my bank accounts?
 - My IRA(s)?

Sandstorm

You have to leave your US currency at the border.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

geoffrey

It is magically converted into Canadian at the current exchange rate.

formula1

if you make money on your money you pay taxes like everyone else does.

penguins

If you move to Canada, move your money!  IRAs can invest internationally, especially self-directed IRA - e.g. you could invest in income property in a foreign country (Canada or elsewhere).  You need some good financial advice from people with international experience, not your run-of-the-mill US investment advisor or current IRA custodian.

Some good recommendations for experienced, reliable people with international expertise come from newsletters for expats like liveandinvestoverse as.com, internationalliving .com, escapeartist.com, and from financial newletters with an international perspective such as sovereignsociety.co m, internationalman.co m, sovereignman.com, etc.  Sign up for their free e-newsletters to start educating yourself on the sorts of opportunities available, what to look for in an investment advisor, etc.  Do your homework or Obummer will take all the moolah!  You need it for your own retirement, so start to learn how right now!  It ain't rocket science - just a matter of doing some homework.

hummingbird

You can move your funds alongwith you that's not a big issue you can discuss your financial advisor about the same. I wonder you are worrying on minor issues rather than discussing the core issue that is how could you move from US to Canada.

Good Luck....

Yolanda

You can open a Canadian bank account, or leave your money where it is.

Did you know?

About 100 new prescription or over-the-counter drugs come into the U.S. market every year.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library