Author Question: What is the typical day like (such as hours of school/homework) if I took a double major? (Read 1421 times)

Melanie

I'm thinking Psychology and Business but I'm not sure yet.
I am thinking about going to CU Boulder, no online stuff
Im curious mainly if I would be able to maintain a job or party hardy...(only on weekends of course...) and enjoy college. Also I was wondering if I would have any free time and if so how much?

Sandstorm

You can only take 20 credits a semester.  Most people take 18.  So that fact that you double major won;t make it necessary to study much more.  Business and Pysch are both time consuming though.  And, if you have to take computer courses, they can take 10 hours a week for 1 course.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

TI

You need to do as much during the day as you can. After dark, productivity plummets and you're less likely get much studying done. You should be matching the number of hours you spend in class with study time. With a psychology major you're liable to spend hours in the library researching obscure topics for essays you'll still pull a C on. Business classes shouldn't be too difficult, but electives will make you want to pull your hair out.

In short, a day in the life of a coed with contrasting majors will start with coffee early in the morning, involve high volumes of library and laptop time, and (hopefully) end with fun amongst good, lifelong friends.

j_sun

Having a double major will have more of an effect on what you can take than on how difficult your workload is. The double major may or may not be more difficult than a single major, but the principal difference is that you'll be taking a lot of major-area classes, whereas with a single major you'd have more room to branch out. If you really enjoy both subjects, I say go for it. A second major will be worth more to you than a minor.

Sandstorm

A double major does not require you to take any additional courses - you will need the same 120 credits to graduate as someone doing a single major needs.

The difference is that you have to complete the requirements for two majors instead of one.  The way you are supposed to do this is to use the required courses for one major to fulfill the electives for the second major.  So instead of taking electives in a wide variety of subjects, as a normal psychology major would do, all your electives will be in business.

Now, the only problem with this for you is that psychology and business are not really related areas (most double majors tend to do their degrees in more closely related fields - business and accounting, psychology and criminal justice, etc.)  So you may end up having to take more than 120 credits to fulfill all the requirements of both majors.  For example, to earn a BS in Business Admin at the Leeds School of Business at CU Boulder, you will need 17-20 credits of non-business electives. But the psychology major requires more than 20 credits of psychology courses.

As for whether or not you'll have any free time, that really depends upon a couple of factors, including the number of classes you take per semester and how difficult the courses are for you (how much study time will you require).

Good luck!

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library