Author Question: A nurse cares for a patient who experienced an opioid overdose. Which focused assessment has the ... (Read 43 times)

jjjetplane

A nurse cares for a patient who experienced an opioid overdose. Which focused assessment has the highest priority?

a. Cardiovascular
  b. Respiratory
  c. Neurologic
  d. Hepatic

Question 2

A soldier in a combat zone tells the nurse, I saw a child get blown up over a year ago, but I keep seeing bits of flesh everywhere

I see something red and the visions race back to my mind. The soldier is describing which phenomenon associated with PTSD?
  a. Reexperiencing
  b. Hyperarousal
  c. Avoidance
  d. Psychosis

adf223

Answer to Question 1

B
Opioid overdose causes respiratory depression, which is the primary cause of death among opioid abusers. The assessment of the other body systems is not the priority.

Answer to Question 2

A
The soldier has described intrusive thoughts and visions associated with reexperiencing the traumatic event. This description does not indicate psychosis, hypervigilance, or avoidance.