This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Does it matter if I get my vitamins from food, or are vitamin supplements just as good? ... (Read 54 times)

D2AR0N

Does it matter if I get my vitamins from food, or are vitamin supplements just as good?

Question 2

I just bought some skin lotion that claims that it has vitamin C, and that this helps the skin repair damage. Does it really work this way?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joneynes

Answer to Question 1

In general, the vitamins found in supplement pills are well absorbed and utilized by the body, and there is certainly no harm in taking a one-a-day type of vitamin pill. However, it is still important to eat a variety of foods from the various food groups to make sure you are getting plenty of the other important compounds in foods. These include dietary fiber and a variety of other phytochemicals that are needed for optimal health.

Answer to Question 2

No. Although vitamin C is needed by the skin to synthesize collagen (a protein important for skin), the vitamin C must get into cells and participate in protein synthesis for this to occur. Because skin lotions are applied to the outer surface of the skin, and most compounds such as vitamin C are not transported into cells in this way, applying these products does not stimulate protein synthesis and cell regeneration. It only makes the skin feel softer.

D2AR0N

Reply 2 on: Aug 21, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

JaynaD87

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library