This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: If I have a risk factor for a disease, does that mean that I will eventually get the disease? ... (Read 65 times)

MGLQZ

If I have a risk factor for a disease, does that mean that I will eventually get the disease?

Question 2

If epidemiologic studies cannot be used to test for causal relationships, should I believe any claims that are based on them?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mrphibs

Answer to Question 1

No. But the more risk factors you have, the more likely it is that you may have the disease in your life.

Answer to Question 2

Yes. Sometimes other types of studies cannot be conducted, and epidemiologic studies must be relied on to try to explain an observation. For example, most of what we know about the risks of smoking on chronic disease in humans was discovered using epidemiologic studies.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library