This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: For a patient experiencing panic, which nursing intervention should be first? a. Teach relaxation ... (Read 26 times)

burton19126

For a patient experiencing panic, which nursing intervention should be first?

a. Teach relaxation techniques.
  b. Administer an anxiolytic medication.
  c. Provide calm, brief, directive communication.
  d. Gather a show of force in preparation for gaining physical control.

Question 2

Which statement is mostly likely to be made by a patient with agoraphobia?

a. Being afraid to go out seems ridiculous, but I can't go out the door.
  b. I'm sure I'll get over not wanting to leave home soon. It takes time.
  c. When I have a good incentive to go out, I can do it.
  d. My family says they like it now that I stay home.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

millet

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Calm, brief, directive verbal interaction can help the patient gain control of the overwhelming feelings and impulses related to anxiety. Patients experiencing panic-level anxiety are unable to focus on reality; thus learning relaxation techniques is virtually impossible. Administering an anxiolytic medication should be considered if providing calm, brief, directive communication is ineffective. Although the patient is disorganized, violence may not be imminent, ruling out the intervention of preparing for physical control until other less-restrictive measures are proven ineffective.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Individuals who are agoraphobic generally acknowledge that the behavior is not constructive and that they do not really like it. Patients state they are unable to change the behavior. Patients with agoraphobia are not optimistic about change. Most families are dissatisfied when family members refuse to leave the house.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library