Author Question: The nurse is preparing to receive a newly delivered patient. The patient is a young single mother ... (Read 58 times)

ghost!

The nurse is preparing to receive a newly delivered patient. The patient is a young single mother who is relinquishing custody of her newborn through an open adoption. What action is most important?

1. Assign the patient a room on the GYN surgical floor instead of on the postpartum floor.
  2. Prepare to complete teaching in time for discharge at 24 hours post-delivery.
  3. Make an effort not to bring up the topic of the baby, and discuss the mother's health instead.
  4. Ask the patient how much contact she would like with the baby, and whether she wants to feed it.

Question 2

The nurse is providing nutritional counseling for a postpartum patient with a hemoglobin of 8.0. Which statement indicates that additional teaching is necessary?

1. My iron is low, but it will increase as I take iron supplements.
  2. I need to increase food sources that contain iron.
  3. If I drink lots of milk, I will increase my iron level faster.
  4. I might feel less energetic and tire more easily while my iron is low.

yotaSR5

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Patients relinquishing their newborns should be given options concerning contact with the infant, including where they would feel most comfortable if they opt for contact at all.
Rationale 2: Not all patients who relinquish their infants want early discharge.
Rationale 3: It is up to the patient to decide how much she wants to talk about her birth, her newborn, or her decision to relinquish the child.
Rationale 4: Assessing the birth mother's preferences by respectfully asking questions and making no assumptions facilitates a more positive experience.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Iron supplements are indicated with anemia. This patient's hemoglobin level is 8.0; lower than 10 is considered anemia during pregnancy. Taking iron supplements will increase hemoglobin.
Rationale 2: Anemia requires additional iron. Many foods, such as red meat, will provide iron. Increasing iron-rich foods will improve anemia.
Rationale 3: Milk does not contain iron; it contains calcium. Increased calcium intake will not increase hemoglobin levels. Further, iron should not be taken with milk, as the iron will not be absorbed.
Rationale 4: Hemoglobin carries oxygen; when the hemoglobin level is low, the muscles are not adequately oxygenated, especially during activity, and fatigue results.