Author Question: A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. ... (Read 432 times)

jlmhmf

A patient states, I don't know what the pills are for or why I am taking them, so I don't want them. What therapeutic communication would help this patient?

A.
  Ask for what you need
  B.
  Silence
  C.
  Using general leads
  D.
  Giving information

Question 2

Linda is pacing the floor and appears extremely anxious. The day shift nurse approaches Linda in an attempt to lessen her anxiety. The most therapeutic statement by the nurse would be:

A.
  How about watching a football game?
  B.
  Tell me how you are feeling today.
  C.
  What do you have to be upset about now?
  D.
  Ignore the client.

aloop

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Giving information can increase rapport, reduce patient anxiety, and suggest patient collaboration.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
To keep open communication with the patient, the nurse should ask open-ended questions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library