Author Question: A person whose spouse died 2 years earlier tells friends, I think I'll begin to go out socially, ... (Read 18 times)

joe

A person whose spouse died 2 years earlier tells friends, I think I'll begin to go out socially, maybe even take someone to dinner. This comment best demonstrates that the individual is:

a. denying the significance of the loss.
  b. in a period of resolution of grief.
  c. actively working through grief.
  d. experiencing intrusion.

Question 2

After the death of a spouse, an adult repeatedly says, I should have made him go to the doctor when he said he didn't feel well. This individual is experiencing:

a. preoccupation with the image of the deceased.
  b. sensations of somatic distress.
  c. anger.
  d. guilt.

Jane

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Toward the end of the grief process, the person renews his or her interest in people and activities. This behavior indicates resolution. At the same time, the person is released from the relationship with the deceased. The patient has progressed beyond grief. The patient is seeking to move into new relationships so that he or she is not alone.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Guilt is evident by the bereaved person's self-reproach. Preoccupation refers to dwelling on images of the deceased. Somatic distress would involve bodily symptoms. Anger is not evident from data given in this scenario.