Author Question: Is it possible to find the velocity of a projectile given a point on the path and the angle of projection? (Read 704 times)

hummingbird

This one's been puzzling me for quite some time now. I've been given a point on the projectile's path as (140,6) and I know the angle is 55°, but that's all I have. I also know that at t=0, the height is 1m, if that helps.

Jones

that's not much info, but i guess that's the problem you're dealing with =]

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

well, you just use the equation of trajectory and you will know the speed directly. the equation is:
y=(tanA*x)-[(g*x*x*)/(u*u*cosA*cosA*2)] where x and y are the co-ordinates and A is the angle of projection. you can easily derive this equation using simple equations of motion.

ricki

For the vertical direction we have:

y(t) = y(0) + v_y(0) t - 1/2 g t^2

For the horizontal direction:

x(t) = x(0) + v_x(0) t

This second equation implies:

t = ( x(t) - x(0) ) / v_x(0) .

Substituting that in the first gives the trajectory, y(x), which is the parabola :

y(x) = y(0) + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  ( x - x(0) ) - 1/2 g / (v_x(0)^2)  (x-x(0))^2

Now x(0) = 0 and y(0) = 1:

y = 1 + v_y(0)/v_x(0)  x  - g/(2 v_x(0)^2)  x^2 .

Differentiating wrt time gives:

v_y = v_y(0)   v_x / v_x(0) - g/( v_x(0))  x  

If we substitude (x,y) = (140,6) in these equations, we have two equations with four unknowns (initial and final velocity components). But we also know
 v_y/v_x = tan(55),
and from energy conservation
 1/2 m v^2 = 1/2 m v(0)^2 + m g (y-1)

So in principle it can be solved, as there are four equations with four unknowns.

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library