This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 45-year-old man is in the clinic for a routine physical examination. During the recording of his ... (Read 60 times)

HCHenry

A 45-year-old man is in the clinic for a routine physical examination. During the recording of his health history, the patient states that he has been having difficulty sleeping.

I'll be sleeping great, and then I wake up and feel like I can't get my breath. The nurse's best response to this would be:
  a.
  When was your last electrocardiogram?
  b.
  It's probably because it's been so hot at night.
  c.
  Do you have any history of problems with your heart?
  d.
  Have you had a recent sinus infection or upper respiratory infection?

Question 2

In assessing a 70-year-old man, the nurse finds the following: blood pressure 140/100 mm Hg; heart rate 104 beats per minute and slightly irregular; and the split S2 heart sound. Which of these findings can be explained by expected hemodynamic changes rel

a. Increase in resting heart rate
  b. Increase in systolic blood pressure
  c. Decrease in diastolic blood pressure
  d. Increase in diastolic blood pressure

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

meow1234

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea (shortness of breath generally occurring at night) occurs with heart failure. Lying down increases the volume of intrathoracic blood, and the weakened heart cannot accommodate the increased load. Classically, the person awakens after 2 hours of sleep, arises, and flings open a window with the perception of needing fresh air.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
With aging, an increase in systolic blood pressure occurs. No significant change in diastolic pressure and no change in the resting heart rate occur with aging. Cardiac output at rest is does not changed with aging.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library