This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An infant with Hirschsprung's disease has a temporary colostomy. Which statement by the infant's ... (Read 23 times)

acc299

An infant with Hirschsprung's disease has a temporary colostomy. Which statement by the infant's mother indicates she understands how to care for the infant's colostomy at home?

a. I need to be careful to check the skin around the colostomy for breakdown and be sure I keep it clean..
  b. I'll call my home health nurse if the colostomy bag needs to be changed..
  c. I'll call the doctor if I notice that the co-lostomy stoma is pink..
  d. I'll have my mother help me with the care of the colostomy..

Question 2

What should the nurse stress in a teaching plan for the mother of an 11-year-old boy with ulcerative colitis?

a. Preventing the spread of illness to others
  b. Nutritional guidance and preventing constipation
  c. Teaching daily use of enemas
  d. Coping with stress and adjusting to a chronic illness

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

princessflame2016

Answer to Question 1

A
Preventing skin breakdown is a priority concern when caring for a colostomy. The mother should be taught the basics of colostomy care, including how to change the appliance. The colostomy stoma should be pink in color, not pale or discolored. There is no evidence that her mother knows how to care for a colostomy.

Answer to Question 2

D
Coping with the stress of a chronic illness and the clinical manifestations associated with ulcerative colitis (diarrhea, pain) are important teaching foci. Ulcerative colitis is not infectious. Although nutritional guidance is a priority teaching focus, diarrhea is a problem with ulcerative colitis, not constipation. Teaching daily use of enemas is not part of the therapeutic plan of care.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library