Author Question: The nurse is answering phone calls at a local suicide prevention hotline. Which statement would be ... (Read 44 times)

WhattoUnderstand

The nurse is answering phone calls at a local suicide prevention hotline. Which statement would be recognized as the greatest risk of suicide?

a. I just needed to talk to someone to keep myself from thinking silly thoughts about killing myself.
  b. My parents aren't home and won't be back for 4 hours. That should be enough time for the pills to work. I've got a hundred of them.
  c. My dad will be home first, so he'll find me. So I think I'll use his gun. I hope he didn't lock the cabinet.
  d. My girlfriend is here with me. She told me to call because I was talking crazy about killing myself.

Question 2

A mother is concerned because her adolescent son is always in trouble for fighting at school and always seems to be angry. She mentions that her husband drinks a bit.

Which understanding will guide the nurse's response?
  a.
  The boy is displaying antisocial behavior and should be evaluated for mental illness.
  b.
  The boy is displaying one of the typical defense patterns of children of alcoholics and should receive immediate treatment.
  c.
  The mother is displaying her own anger with her husband's drinking, and she needs immediate intervention.
  d.
  The boy is only one member of the family affected by alcoholism, and all members should receive immediate intervention.

komodo7

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The risk of death increases when there is a definite plan of action, the means are readily available, and the person has few resources for help and support.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Early recognition of and intervention for children of alcoholics are paramount. This adolescent is using the coping pattern of acting-out behaviors to deal with the family situation.