Author Question: How would you solve this mathematical problem? (Read 1362 times)

aero

Solve by using the quadratic formula. Give your answers in simplest radical form. Give both real and imaginary roots.

4/z = 3z/z-3

I have a lot of problems that are just like the one about but I just don't know how to go about solving them.

go.lag

4/z = 0
No solution

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

ricki

You need to use the quadratic formula, so you need to get a quadratic function out of what you're given.

4 = 3z^2/(z-3)

4(z-3) = 3z^2

4z-12=3z^2

Then rearrange by subtracting 4z and adding 12, which leaves you:

3z^2-4z+12=0

Then plug into the quadratic formula, with 3=a, -4=b, and 12=c.

I included a link for the quadratic formula in case you don't know it.

Best of luck! :D

ricki

If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = (3z/z)-3} = 3-3 = 0 then no solution.
If {4/z = 3z/z-3} is equal to {4/z = 3z/(z-3) then  z = 0.66 +/-j1.89  where j^2 = -1

I believe you mean by:
4/z = 3z/(z-3) instead of  4/z = 3z/z-3
If so, then
work;
4/z = 3z/(z-3) or
3z^2 -4z+12 = 0
comparing to the eq. ax^2+bx+c or x = {-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac} / 2a.  we get:
z = {4 +/-sqrt(16-144)} / 6
= {4 +/-sqrt(-128)}/6 = 4/6 +/-(j11.31)/6....:where j^2 = -1
z = 0.66 +/-j1.89

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library