Author Question: A staff nurse tells another nurse I evaluated a new patient using the SAD PERSONS scale and got a ... (Read 18 times)

jon_i

A staff nurse tells another nurse I evaluated a new patient using the SAD PERSONS scale and got a score of 10. I'm wondering if I should send the patient home. Select the best reply by the second nurse.

a. That action would seem appropriate.
  b. A score over 8 requires immediate hospitalization.
  c. I think you should strongly consider hospitalization for this patient.
  d. Give the patient a follow-up appointment. Hospitalization may be needed soon.

Question 2

A patient who was hospitalized for 2 weeks committed suicide during the night. Which initial measure will be most helpful for staff members and other patients regarding this event?

a. Request the public information officer to make an announcement to the local media.
  b. Hold a staff meeting to express feelings and plan the care for other patients.
  c. Ask the patient's roommate not to discuss the event with other patients.
  d. Quickly discharge as many patients as possible to prevent panic.

Kaytorgator

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A SAD PERSONS scale score of 0 to 5 suggests home care with follow-up. A score of 6 to 8 requires psychiatric consultation. A score over 8 calls for hospitalization.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Interventions should be aimed at helping the staff and patients come to terms with the loss and to grow because of the incident. Then, a community meeting should be scheduled to allow other patients to express their feelings and request help. Staff members should be prepared to provide additional support and reassurance to patients and should seek opportunities for peer support. The incorrect options will not control information or may result in unsafe care.