Author Question: What is the maximum area for this question? (Quadratics)? (Read 1868 times)

Sandstorm

So i got this math question, and I have a lousy teacher, so I don't know exactly how to find the maximum area for this question.
Question:
A farmer has a 200m of fencing material to enclose a rectangular feild adjacent to a river. No fencing is required along the river.
The image has a rectangle with the widths (smaller sides of rectangle) labeled with 'w' and the length is 200-w. The function I came up with is a=200w-2w^2. I did graph it on the calculator. Vertex is (50, 5000). X-intercepts are (0,0) and (100,0). Y intercept is (0,0).
That is all I can get from what I have self-learned and I still need to find the maximum area of the field and the dimensions of it.
If possible, please explain each step so that I can learn it. :)
Heres a picture of the diagram if my description didn't make sense:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cntoig&s=6

Hawke

l = 200 - 2w

A = w * l
A = w * (200 - 2w)
A = 2 * (100w - w^2)
A = -2 * (w^2 - 100w)
A = -2 * (w^2 - 2 * 50w + 50^2 - 50^2)
A = -2 * (w - 50)^2 + 2 * 50^2
A = -2 * (w - 50)^2 + 2 * 2500
A = 5000 - 2 * (w - 50)^2

The vertex is at (50 , 5000)

w = 50
A = 5000
l = 100

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library