Author Question: Do bilingual people think in both languages? (Read 4327 times)

ricki

I am taking a class in college; cultural anthropology.  I am to interview a bilingual person, but I don't know any so I decided to post an interview here and use this data for my answer.  The assignment was:

Interview someone you know who speaks more than one language (actually interview someone ? don?t just tell us what you think). In which kinds of situations does the person use language A, and in which language B? Do people also think in more than one language? What gestures, body language, or other changes accompany switches in language?

Please give serious answers; this is for class credit.  Thanks.

camila

Yes, they do.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

curlz

When you know more than one language, it is always better to think in the language you are talking at the time, as the words or phrases looses their meaning when you translate them literally.

As for the body gestures, generally they could be the same, depends on how comfortable you feel with person you are talking with (this is a big factor in the body gestures and gestures).

Jones

I'm sure they think in the language they use most often.....at least, that's been my experience......

Millan

I'm bilingual in english and spanish. In fact I learned spanish first even though i was born in Georgia. I speak spanish at home because my parents are hispanic, but if i go anywhere else I speak english. Now for you question, everytime I have to think, such as "What should I do tomorrow?" or " 3 +48=?" I completely think in english. There is never a time when I actually "think" in spanish. In fact, even when i'm speaking spanish to someone I will think my thoughts in english. Weird huh? hope that helps.

hummingbird

Being a multilingual person myself, I think it depends on the person. The correct answer would probably be "not necessarily"
I speak four languages, and think in all four - well, I haven't been speaking Catalan for some time, so neither have I been thinking in that language.
I happen to be a bit of a "day dreamer", with a lot of imagination.  So I can momentarily forget that I am originally English-speaking.  For instance, if I am driving my car to meet with a Spanish speaking person, then I find myself thinking in Spanish.  the same with French.   But I think it is possible to be bilingual or multilingual without having that particular characteristic.
During the last 40 years I have lived either in French or in Spanish, with the exception of one year when I was living and working mostly in English.  However I find when I am counting or adding up figures in my head, if I am tired or if there is the slightest difficulty, I will be thinking of the numbers in English.  (Maths is my weak point).

Hungry!

I think in both languages, but just some words. at the beginning I thought iin spanish and then I translate but with practice I began to speak faster and thinking in english, at least the easy words and some vocabulary.
Everything depends of the practice and the time.

Hawke

Well, yes there are some cases where we have to think in both languages. For example, when I am at home I speak Spanish all the time, the same situation when I'm chatting with friends from my country etc.
On the other hand when I go to work, school or even a trip to the mall I have to think in English.
It really helps a lot to know two languages but sometimes it's kind of annoying because let's say I'm having a conversation with somebody who speaks English and I start saying words in Spanish (they look at me like I'm crazy or something lol) or when I'm having a conversation in Spanish I start mixing words with English too. So yeah we kind of have to think in both languages.
As far as body gestures go, well it's like a whole different thing because there are some signs that Spanish speaking people use to communicate that English speakers do not use.
Well I hope that helps you with your homework. Good luck.

Melanie

it totally depends on the situation.

If someone asks me something in Spanish, I'll switch into Spanish.  It's not like you are constantly translating words from one language to another.

(being not raised bilingual) Dreaming in the second language after being immersed in it for a while is pretty trippy.  It's like suddenly the part of your brain that used to translate just turns off (in most occasions) and you can speak, with out thinking about what you're going to say.  I think that's the best part.  Using the language becomes natural.

Gestures and body language change as you change who you're around.  If I'm around my biological parents, then i use American gestures and customs.  It's the same when I was with my host parents. i just changed depending on the environment.

coco

Yes, they do. It just comes naturally and it usually takes the form of whatever language the other person is speaking with. Unless of course you can't think of a certain word.

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library