Author Question: Reasons Why You should disagree with this statement.? (Read 1112 times)

penguins

My Contemporary Issues class wrote a statement on the board :"State lawmakers have the right to make laws that are in the best interest of their citizens even if those laws violate the laws of the U.S. Constitution"
AGREE OR DISAGREE
My homework is to find 5 reason's why i disagree with the satement.
I have 2.
1. If this were an active statement a state would be able to take away our 1st Amendment-Freedom of Speech, religion, and expression. By living in that sate you would no longer have that right if the above statement were true.

2. If the states could make laws that violate or oppose the U.S. Constitution then that would violate the 14th Amendment which states that all men are to be treated equally and have the same opportunities.

Please help me and give me 3 more.

Melanie

im not sure about the US constitution, but perhaps there is something within itself that any inconsistencies between the constitution and state laws, the consti prevails? afterall consti is meant to be the supreme law of the nation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

You're missing the big answer that has to do with the Constitution being the basis of the American legal system.

j_sun

Article VI of the U.S. Constitution

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution;...

Hawke

1)  State lawmakers CAN make any law -- because technically, it isn't unconstitutional until it's been contested in the state supreme court, and then taken to the U.S. Supreme Court. (agree).

2)  The state lawmakers have a duty and obligation to uphold not only the State's constitution, but the U.S. Constitution.  The supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution would essentially render the laws unconstitutional, if contested.  (disagree).

3)  State lawmakers are elected by the citizens of their state, and their obligation is to those citizens, not to the country, as a whole -- it is their duty to fit within the social constructs established by their constituents. (agree).

4)  State laws should be similar from state to state, to a certain degree, to allow for application of the full faith and credit clause, as guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution.  If there is no similarity, or a lack of continuity, per se -- then it could render the full faith and credit clause inapplicable. (disagree).

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Every flu season is different, and even healthy people can get extremely sick from the flu, as well as spread it to others. The flu season can begin as early as October and last as late as May. Every person over six months of age should get an annual flu vaccine. The vaccine cannot cause you to get influenza, but in some seasons, may not be completely able to prevent you from acquiring influenza due to changes in causative viruses. The viruses in the flu shot are killed—there is no way they can give you the flu. Minor side effects include soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given. It is possible to develop a slight fever, and body aches, but these are simply signs that the body is responding to the vaccine and making itself ready to fight off the influenza virus should you come in contact with it.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library