Author Question: if you were the president and you could get rid of religion? (Read 2826 times)

coco

lets just say you wanted to even if you don't

how would you go about doing so?

its for homework... don't ask- its for a paper and I can express my own opinions.

curlz

if i was the president, i would uphold the constitution and let people worship whoever

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Sandstorm

Read the constitution... and you'll be able to answer your own question.

camila

For starters you would confiscate all disposable income so no one has any money for funding church activities or charity.  In other words taxes would be so high no one would have any money left for anythign other than shelter and food and life necessities.  That way the government can control everything.

You would mandate a liberal agenda that teaches tolerance toward immorality.

Look at what Obama is doing and this is pretty much what you would be doing.

Yolanda

You would become a dictator and use the military to take over all the churches

hummingbird

I don't promote religion.

YET, I wouldn't -if i had the authority- force people to leave their religions.
I consider that to be ideological dictatorship; forcing people to leave their religions is as bad as forcing them to follow a religion.

Everyone is entitled to a belief they believe in as long as they don't force their belief on other people, and that's the only thing I have against religious peoples, even if i DO consider religion to be bullshit.

Garrulous

That to me is treasonous question - I don't know what class you are doing this for - but I think they should be reported...

geoffrey

i would start a task charged with identifing and apprehending all religious citizens.  i would then have them shipped to dis-assemblyy factories and destroyed. undoubtedly some religious groups would survive and continue worship "GOD".  I would institute a policy in which anyone caught aiding a suspected godite would be murdered after being forced to murder their immediate family.  I would sentence the family to death by torture if the suspect refused to murder them.  I think that would solve religion for us.

federox

I agree with nancy but I think this is a BS question. I don't believe you
have a class that is having you write a paper like this not a state funded school. I am not sure but I would think that would be unconstitutional and their could be a lawsuit over it.

Sandstorm

You couldn't ban religion even if you wanted to.  It's protected by the 1st Amendment.  It would take a constitutional amendment, which would require approval by a 2/3 majority of states, and there's no way you're going to do that.

Instead you could announce that you are going to uphold the constitutionally-mandated separation of church and state.  You're going to vigorously prosecute hate crimes against minority religions.  You're going to introduce bills to Congress to remove 'In God We Trust' from our money and 'under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance.  You're going to hire people in your administration from a wide range of religious traditions.  And you're going to push for gay marriage.  If you were an atheist, you might come out and announce that openly in a speech, and perhaps spend 30 seconds or so giving your reasons.

People have a right to be religious if they choose, or to be free from religion if they choose.  The government shouldn't support religion or endorse one particular religion over the others, but it shouldn't hamper religion either, so long as it's in its proper place.  Religion isn't a problem unless people of one religion or another feel that their particular religious beliefs entitle them to special rights and privileges over the rest of us.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library