Author Question: Identify and explain two powers that the Constitution Specifically DENIES to Congress? (Read 1218 times)

Jesse_J

Because I don't get it even if I read it  :(
THANK YOU so much!!

geoffrey

This is discussed in Article 1: Section 9 of the Constitution which is the limits on Congress.

If I was you I'd use:
The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

and

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Both are fairly easy to understand, maybe you can even note how the Patriot Act violates the first one I mentioned because we are neither under rebellion or Invasion. I'd go into more detail but I fear this may be for a homework assignment and as such a general nudge in the right direction is probably best. :)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hawke

the 9th and 10th amendments deny ALL POWERS AND RIGHTS not specifically given to congress from congress. Same with the president and the courts. THOSE rights and powers are specifically given to the states and/or people.

Jones

You don't get it? It's a list of very specific things Congress cannot do. In plain English. Article I, Section 9

Here, I'll explain one."No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time."

Congress can't spend money without passing a law authorizing that spending. And Congress has to maintain public records of their spending.

You might need to look up a couple of terms, but this is as simple as Constitutional law gets.

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library