Author Question: What is the valence shell and number of valence electrons for Lead? (Read 774 times)

ricki

I think the valence electrons is 4 and the shell is 6 but I'm not 100% sure if that s right. If it is can someone explain to me why? It would really help me for a big test tomorrow.

mia

Yes you are absolutely right.

First of all, it's shell 6 because lead, Pb 82 is located on the 6th row.

It has a valence electron of 4 because if you count from left to right, it happens to be the forth one.

Note: transition metals (columns 3-12) are often skipped because they are unpredictable.

So skipping the transition metals, start out with
Cs, 55  -----> 1 VE
Ba, 56  -----> 2 VE
Ti, 81   -----> 3 VE
Pb, 82  -----> 4 VE

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library