Author Question: Is there any tricks to knowing which gas law or gas equation to use when you are reading a chemistry word prob? (Read 1331 times)

clippers!

I don't understand, when I'm reading a chemistry word problem, which formula I'm supposed to use.  I think I have the equations down if I know which equation to plug the numbers into.  I have a quiz tomorrow and we just finished up the chapter yesterday.  Any suggestions.  Anything would be appreciated.  Thanks

curlz

I think it's good to just remember: PV = nRT

so if the # of moles is constant and you know that R is the ideal gas constant then simply rearranging the equation algebraically gives:

PV/T = constant

and if any of the properties are not given in your word problem, then you can simply take it out of the equation and continue with the properties you are given.

For example, if a question only involves P and V, then your equation of interest will be PV = constant & if a question involves V and T, then ur eqn becomes: V/T = constant etc

Goodluck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

remember PV = nRT

then remember this...

1) whatever is constant, move to the right.  the rest move to the left....
2) make 2 conditions 1 and 2.. and make the variable part of the equations =... like this..

PV = nRT..
if V is constant and n is constant (which is usually the case) and R is constant. then...

P/T = nR/V.... the right side is all constants...
P1 /T1 = nR/V
P2 / T2 = nR/V
so
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2  
same for P, n and R being constants...

PV = nRT
V / T = nR/P
V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

etc...

alternately, and this is what I recommend... R is always constant... so

PV = nRT
PV / nT = R...
ie...

(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2).... if you remember this equation and you cancel out whatever is constant, you should have no problems.  ok?  and fyi, the easy way to remember this equation is... PV = nRT.... PV/nT = R = constant...P1V1/n1T1 = ...

so memorize...

PV = nRT and
(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2)....

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library