This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A man had been in an extended-care facility for five weeks and was now home. His wife tells the ... (Read 49 times)

codyclark

A man had been in an extended-care facility for five weeks and was now home. His wife tells the nurse, He's trying to take up where he left off but we've adapted to not having him home.

He keeps thinking things will be just as they were when he left, but they aren't. Which of the following would be the most appropriate response by the nurse?
  a.
  Are the changes making him uncomfortable or are the rest of you uncomfortable?
  b.
  Do you want me to talk to him and try to explain?
  c.
  How can we make things as they were before he left?
  d.
  You all adapted to running the house without him; it will be challenging now to adapt back.

Question 2

A male nurse is enjoying a very hot summer day at the zoo when he notices a family approaching. An elderly member of the family is moving very slowly and being scolded by another adult, saying You are not sick. Let's keep moving.

The nurse touches the elderly adult who has a flushed face and notices clammy and moist skin. What should the nurse say to the adult?
  a.
  I'm a nurse, and your family member needs to go to the emergency department right now.
  b.
  I'm a nurse, and your family member has heat stroke. I'm calling 911.
  c.
  Take your family member to the air-conditioned restaurant, and have him drink a cold soda immediately.
  d.
  Take your family member to the air-conditioned restaurant, and let your family rest for a while.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

morganmarie791

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Family functional assessment, or how family members behave toward one another, is divided into two categories. The first is instrumental functioning, which refers to routine activities of daily living. This area takes on important meaning for the family when one member of the family becomes ill or disabled and changes were made. When the family member is better, the family must again adapt to changes, even if the change is to return to the original mode of functioning. It will help the family to be able to recognize the problem; labeling it makes it more manageable.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
There is not enough evidence to be quite sure what is wrong with the elderly adult, but clearly the elderly person is suffering from being in the hot sun for a period of time. The elderly adultand probably the rest of the family as wellneeds to be moved to a cooler environment and be made to lie down and rest. Drinking chilled water (not soda with caffeine) would also be helpful. In that cooler environment, the nurse can assess the situation to determine whether further action should be taken.

codyclark

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Excellent

meow1234

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library