Author Question: Which is an effective nursing intervention to assist an angry patient to learn to manage anger ... (Read 37 times)

mydiamond

Which is an effective nursing intervention to assist an angry patient to learn to manage anger without violence?

a. Help the patient identify a thought that increases anger, find proof for or against the belief, and substitute reality-based thinking.
  b. Provide negative reinforcement such as restraint or seclusion in response to angry outbursts, whether or not violence is present.
  c. Use aversive conditioning, such as popping a rubber band on the wrist, to help extinguish angry feelings.
  d. Administer an antipsychotic or antianxiety medication.

Question 2

An adult patient assaults another patient and is restrained. One hour later, which statement by this restrained patient necessitates the nurse's immediate attention?

a. I hate all of you
  b. My fingers are tingly.
  c. You wait until I tell my lawyer.
  d. It was not my fault. The other patient started it.

yotaSR5

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Anger has a strong cognitive component; therefore using cognition to manage anger is logical. The incorrect options do nothing to help the patient learn anger management.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The correct response indicates impaired circulation and necessitates the nurse's immediate attention. The incorrect responses indicate that the patient has continued aggressiveness and agitation.