This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In what ways is the story interesting because it explores specifically Chinese American experiences? ... (Read 219 times)

Kikoku

In what ways is the story interesting because it explores specifically Chinese American experiences? In what other ways is the story grounded in universal family issues?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

In what ways does the narrator feel at home in China? In what ways doesshe feel foreign?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

memslove

Answer to Question 1

• Although A Pair of Tickets is saturated in Chinese history and culture, and its plot reflects a situation unlikely to be repeated in other contexts, it also explores nearly universal themes of self-discovery, cultural awareness, and family history. One might say that Tans broader theme is dual identityan especially relevant theme for many Americans who come from immigrant families. Tan explores this quintessentially American experience with humor, compassion, and imagination.

Wayne Wangs 1993 film version of The Joy Luck Club will probably disappoint most of Tans readers as much as it did movie critics. The subject matter is so interesting that it carries the film along, but Wang sentimentalizes and sensationalizes the story into a sort of Asian American soap opera. The final episode (drawn from A Pair of Tickets) is condensed and simplified. The pair of tickets is, alas, reduced to a single passage: June flies to China alone, and poor Canning Woo gets left in the States. The film may nonetheless be useful to students who need help in visualizing the American and Chinese milieus of the story. Under pressure, one might assign a particularly movie-struck student the task of comparing and contrasting the movies version of A Pair of Tickets to the original story.

Answer to Question 2

• June is Chinese American, which means that she experiences the two cultures from both the inside and the outside. Just as going to China helps her understand how she is Chinese, it also reminds her how much she has been shaped by America. She understands Mandarin Chinese but cannot speak it well. She does not know the Cantonese of her relatives or her fathers Mandarin dialect. Although she is purely Chinese in ancestry, not only her clothes betray her American upbringingshe is also too tall. I stand five-foot-six, June observes, and my head pokes above the crowd so that I am eye level only with other tourists. And yet she physically resembles her half-sisters, realizing at the end of the story: And now I also see what part of me is Chinese. It is so obvious. It is my family. It is in our blood.

Kikoku

Reply 2 on: Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ttt030911

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library