Author Question: Why is the volume of sphere four third of cylinder's? (Read 975 times)

Jones

I would also like to know why lateral surface of cone is pi r l and also what is the surface area of sphere and it's proof.

aero

The volume of a sphere is V = 4/3 pi r^3, that of a cylinder, V = pi r^2 h, that of a cone, V = 1/3 pi r^2 h. With the condition that h = 2r, the volume of the sphere is 2/3 that of the cylinder, and the volume of the cone is 1/3 that of the cylinder, i.e. V_sphere + V_cone = V_cylinder.

The lateral surface area of a cone can be thought of as 1/2 the area of the equivalent cylinder. The 1/2 comes from taking the average of the circumference at the top and the bottom.

Given the volume of a sphere, we can reason that its surface area is the derivative with respect to radius, since as the radius of the sphere increases, the volume of the sphere increases at a rate proportional to its surface. Applying the power rule from differential calculus immediately gives A = 4 pi r^2.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Jesse_J

To compare volumes of a sphere and cylinder, lets look at integrals.

Integrate useing spherical coordinates for the sphere:

dV = r^2 * sin? * dr * d? * dphi
V = r^3/3 [r = 0 to r] * -cos? [? = 0 to pi] * phi [phi = 0 to 2pi]
V = r^3/3 * 2 * 2pi
V= 4pi r^3 /3

For a cylinder use cylindrical coordinates

dV = r * dr * d? * dz
V = (r^2/2) * 2pi * H
V = r^2 * pi * H
and if H = r
V = r^3 * pi

If you don't understand integrals fully it's not possible for me to explain why the cylinder is bigger except that it takes up more space.

As for the surface area of the sphere it is
S = 4*pi*r^2

The proof is the same as the integral i did above except you don't integrate over r because r stays at a constant value.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library