Author Question: If you are mediocre at math, how much study time would you recommend to get an A in your college courses? (Read 2812 times)

karateprodigy

I'm starting in intermediate algebra, then college algerbra, trig, ect. . .

I'm going for a computer science degree, so I am going to need very good math skills, and I need to train my brain so it comes as naturally as talking. Obviously studying as much as possible would be best, but I just want opinions on how much per day is good. 1 hour? 2 hours?

waynest

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

leilurhhh

I'm studying my pre-med right now, and bad math skills are something I have.

I never received an A in my Algebra subjects only a B- was my highest for that.

I have to admit that I rarely studied for my Algebra subjects and I am really bad at Math. I only study perhaps before a test or a discussion, just so I don't look that stupid in class.

But I can say that if you give about 1-3 hours of your time in studying Math, you would really do well. You should do this daily though and at the times when your mind is very attentive and awake.

Good luck! (Who knows you might get an A)

asd123

The 'average' recommendation for study time in college is 2 hours outside of class for every hour in class.  

Two factors figure in to help you decide how much time you will need for your math studying:
1. Most Math classes meet for about 3 hours a week in college... some meet for 5 hours.  
2.  Math is a challenging subject... it will require more time than the 'average' time... your PE courses or some other subjects that come easy to you will require less than the two hours recommended.

That said I would expect to spend at least 3-4 hours outside of class for every hour in class since Math does not come easily to you.  (So typically 9-12 hours a week for a 3hr class or 15-20 hours a week for a 5hr class.)  Even this may not guarantee you an A... but it will give you your best chance at understanding the material and doing well.

You learn math by working problems... not memorization.  If you finish your required homework and still need to get some study time in... work more problems!  :)  Also... don't feel limited to sitting staring at the book on your own.  Most schools have excellent tutoring centers, math 'labs' and the like to help you with your studies.  Use them often!  Good luck.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library