Author Question: What would be the valence electron configuration of Ga2+? (Read 1412 times)

curlz

I'm a bit confused as to what the valence electron configuration would be because I know that in the 11th group they have s and d valence electrons. So I thought the valence configuration would be 4s2 3d9, but apparently that's wrong. I'm not really sure how to do this one.

michelleunicorn

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

j_sun

The correct answer is: [Ar] 4s1 3d10

Explanation: The reason for this is that cations are not quite as simple as anions in their configurations. You CANNOT merely subtract 2 electrons by going back 2 spaces on the periodic table as you did. Instead, you must subtract or take away the atoms from highest energy level first, which here would be n=4. The fourth energy level contains 3 electrons in Ga. Ga 2+ signifies to take away two of these electrons from the fourth energy level. Which would give the configuration of [Ar] 4s1 3d10. Now if the question asked for, let's say, Ga 5+, then the answer would be [Ar] 3d8 because you have used up the electrons on the highest energy level (4) so you must up down to the third to take away the remaining two electrons.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense of the whole deal with cations and their electron configurations. Anions are merely just about adding electrons.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library