Author Question: How hard is college physics if you never taken physics in high school? (Read 959 times)

Millan

My college requires me to take Physics 1 with Calculus (prereqs include a grade of C or better in Calculus 1 and a high school physics course) for the computer science major. I'm not entirely sure if physics is more qualitiative than quantitative but that's the impression I'm getting

camila

physics 1 in college does not have a prerequisite of high school physics. some of my best friends have taken physics 1 and 2 here and done extremely well although they cut class all the time in high school and didnt learn anything. 1 of them got a 65 in physics in high school because he did absolutely nothing for the class. however, he got to college and declared a major in bio (he wants to go pre-med). he went to every lecture and attended all his discussion classes. he read the textbook, solved suggested problems and did his hw. college physics teaches u everything from the ground up so high school physics doesnt mean anything. however, u MUST read the textbook and learn the material. if u dont understand something, u have to either ask in class, go to the professor or teaching assistant's office hours and make sure u get it,

no class in college requires anything from high school

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hawke

It depends on the quality of you're professor. If you have a good professor who can explain things clearly and has a decent amount of office hours in case of questions you will likely do well. If you're professor is not so good you will definitely need some help. Higher level science classes like this tend to be fairly difficult. If you have a good grasp on calculus you will be fine, if not get some help as soon as the semester starts. Physics has a lot of calculus based equations and you always need to understand how to use them to get the desired results (so qualitative). Most colleges have some sort of science help hours and if not I would recommend getting together with a study group from you're class or hiring a tutor if you're a bit weak in calculus. You should know by the end of the first week if you'll need extra help or not. Either way, make sure to do all the homework, whether it's required or optional. Physics takes practice in order to be successful. Good Luck!

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library