Author Question: Can you give me some examples of parallel and series circuits in the home? I don't want a light bulb example? (Read 1029 times)

aero

I need it for my science homework and I can't think of any. I really don't want just another light bulb example.

Yolanda

There are very few examples of simple series or simple parallel circuits in existence. About all real circuits are complicated combinations of series and parallel circuits, sometimes hundreds of each. The processor in a PC contains literally billions of circuits.

A flashlight is one of the few simple series circuits, with a battery, switch, wires, and bulb all in series.

Home lighting is more complicated: light bulb is in series with wires, and plug and socket. Then that set is in parallel with another lamp plugged into the same socket, or something else.

That socket is in parallel with all the others in the room, with wires between in series, and the whole thing is in series with the circuit breaker. Line side of the breaker is in parallel with all the other complicated circuits, and in series with the wires from the transformer outside, etc, etc.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Sandstorm

Parallel circuits are everywhere, they are used for the ring main, any extension sockets and pretty much everything. The washing machine, The steam iron, the vacuum cleaner, the computer, the TV. You name it and they all wired in parallel.

Switches are wired in series with the appliances.

Fuses are wired in series with appliances too.

Fluorescent lights (including energy saving bulbs) are wired in series with a ballast to limit the  amount of current that can flow through them.

Some (mainly old) fairy lights are wired in series, the type where there a hundred odd and when one blows, the whole lot go out and that's your afternoon gone testing each bulb.

The series examples are pretty lame but that's all I can think of!

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library