Author Question: can someone please explain the lebanese civil war to me? (Read 861 times)

Jesse_J

i'm getting rather confused >__<"
so help with what the causes are, the effects, important dates, physical features that are important, cultural icons,  political factors, and economic factors, and social factors...all that good stuff.
i'm not asking for you guys to do my homework, just kind of help me understand it a bit more.
or give me sites please.
thank you.

curlz

The war started as a result of conflict between 2 groups in Lebanon; the Muslim and Christian militias. It escalated in 1975 when armed men shot 4 Phalangists (Lebanese Christian militia) in an attempt to assassinate the Phalangist leader. The Phalangists, believing it was the Palestinians, attacked a bus full of Palestinian passengers killing 26 of them. Fighting broke out rapidly, and random people were killed.

The government's attempt to isolate the violence only served to rally support for both factions. As they grew, the violence continued to spread. Residents seeking safety were forced to migrate towards areas where their religion was dormant. Soon the country was polarized.

The Lebanese civil war is very intricate and spans nearly 20 years, so Yahoo Answers probably isn't the best place to learn about it.  You can find all of the answers to your questions at my link below. Their source is the Library of Congress.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2013 by Celeste »