Author Question: How can I improve my math skills especially in the field of algebra? (Read 1379 times)

geoffrey

I'm going to study civil engineering this coming school year and I enrolled for an advance class for math. Every time we have a class, I find it hard to understand algebraic problems (especially word problems in algebra). I love math but I find it hard to apply every time we have a seat work or homework. I also have problems remembering formulas and the law of exponents.

I really want to improve my math skills. I really need your help before the first sem starts.

you need to ask yourself if you are really decided to be a civil engr. in the future. if the ans. is a very firm yes, definitely, you solved your problem. i was once like you but i decided to "do whatever it takes to pass" my algebra class and all my engg subjects. patience patience and a lot of patience is all you need. eng'g course is not how brainy you are, it is how patient and resourceful you are.spend much of your time in practice, practice solving algebra problems. practice makes perfect. dont be disheartened. keep trying!!!

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

I'm afraid the only answer is to practise. You need to work with the concepts until they become second nature. At first you will battle through referring repeatedly to your notes, after a while you will wonder why you even needed them!

Make use of your tutor, ask questions, and make sure you really understand the principles of the problem; many of my students just like to have an answer written down, without wantig to put any thought into how we got there, then get surprised when they can't do it themselves. Algebra is a very big field though, what particularly do you struggle with, rearranging formulae, graphical methods, indices?

Can recommend the BBC bitesize web site if it covers the areas you need though.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library