Author Question: Is there any tricks to knowing which gas law or gas equation to use when you are reading a chemistry word prob? (Read 1344 times)

clippers!

I don't understand, when I'm reading a chemistry word problem, which formula I'm supposed to use.  I think I have the equations down if I know which equation to plug the numbers into.  I have a quiz tomorrow and we just finished up the chapter yesterday.  Any suggestions.  Anything would be appreciated.  Thanks

curlz

I think it's good to just remember: PV = nRT

so if the # of moles is constant and you know that R is the ideal gas constant then simply rearranging the equation algebraically gives:

PV/T = constant

and if any of the properties are not given in your word problem, then you can simply take it out of the equation and continue with the properties you are given.

For example, if a question only involves P and V, then your equation of interest will be PV = constant & if a question involves V and T, then ur eqn becomes: V/T = constant etc

Goodluck

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Yolanda

remember PV = nRT

then remember this...

1) whatever is constant, move to the right.  the rest move to the left....
2) make 2 conditions 1 and 2.. and make the variable part of the equations =... like this..

PV = nRT..
if V is constant and n is constant (which is usually the case) and R is constant. then...

P/T = nR/V.... the right side is all constants...
P1 /T1 = nR/V
P2 / T2 = nR/V
so
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2  
same for P, n and R being constants...

PV = nRT
V / T = nR/P
V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

etc...

alternately, and this is what I recommend... R is always constant... so

PV = nRT
PV / nT = R...
ie...

(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2).... if you remember this equation and you cancel out whatever is constant, you should have no problems.  ok?  and fyi, the easy way to remember this equation is... PV = nRT.... PV/nT = R = constant...P1V1/n1T1 = ...

so memorize...

PV = nRT and
(P1V1) / (n1 T1) = (P2 V2 / n2 T2)....

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library