Author Question: what's the difference between mac and pc and which should I get if...? (Read 1281 times)

camila

I am a student, will major in computer science. I just started taking my CS classes and really I do not know much about computers yet, other than I need a laptop for convenience.
Tho no one has really answered my question at school about what should I get, a mac or pc?
I don't understand yet what are the percs of each, but I do need one soon because my commute is long and all my homework is.... code.
So if someone can give me an explanation regarding my question, thank you a lot.

daltonest1984

If your going to be using it for school then I would get a PC. A Mac is used more for picture and video editing. If you like to do those things than get a Mac. If not then Id stick with a PC.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

laurencescou

I would assume if you're coding, then you're not coding for Macs.....why limit yourself to using one?

The Mac is a sweet designed machine, and a cool OS - but if you're coding - get a PC.

Granted - you can run Windows on the MAC now - and Mac on the Windows.

Whatever you get - download VMWare - it's your best friend for creating environments to play with without worrying about trashing your lifeline of a computer.

Corporate grade is better.  Lattitude instead of Inspiron - NC instead of Pavillion - etc.

Best of luck.

michelleunicorn

For computer science, go with a PC for sure.  90% of the world runs on PC's, so it just makes more sense to direct your education toward something everyone uses.

Macs are better for Graphic Designers, but thats about it.

jlmhmf

Macs are a lot more user friendly.  and usually does not get viruses.  They are more expensive then a PC but its premium product at a premium price.  There is more software available for PC than there is for a mac.  This is quickly changing though.  Macs have been outselling PC's in recent months.  Another huge advantage to buying a Mac is boot camp.  Boot Camp is software that allows you to run windows on your mac.  To me this makes the PC obsolete.  I just bought a Mac and i installed windows on it.  So I can run all my programs that i had on my PC with no problem at all.    If you don't know what i'm talking about here's a quick explanation.  PC's run windows and Mac's run OSX.  These are the operating systems that run the machine itself.  Since Mac can now run both OSX and Windows the PC is obsolete.  I would wait a month until the next version of OSX comes out so it comes preloaded on your Mac and you don't have to pay to upgrade.    MAC all the way.

washai

The Intel Mac will allow to you have Mac OS X, Windows XP or Vista, & Linux (any brand).  It will be very versatile.  Also, Mac OS X is UNIX.  One platform, all that you need.  A Mac is more expensive, but for what you get, you are way ahead.  BTW, if you go this route, don't use Bootcamp to load the other OS's.  Use something like Parallels.  If you use Bootcamp, you have to reboot into each OS when you need it.  With Parallels, you can just switch, like between applications.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library